If you are not aware of CryENGINE 3 has become free for public and you are one of them who wants to try this awesome engine, this is the time to get your hands dirty.
In July, 2011( read more here: “CRYEngine 3 SDK Free Now!!”) , Cevat R Yerli, CEO, Crytek GmbH had announced of Original CryENGINE 3 SDK going free for non-commercial use and completely supporting Crymod.com(Now CRYDEV.net) in an confidential letter.
On 18th August, 2011, Crytek GmbH finally released the CryENGINE 3 SDK which was originally used for creating Crysis 2! on CRYDEV.net and its now available for download for its members. To download your own copy you need to create your developer account with CRYDEV.net and its without any charge.
To support the future game developments with CryENGINE 3 SDK, Crymod(www.crymod.com) has become Crydev – Crytek’s official developer community(Crydev). Apart from just an developer environment, Crydev also offers its developers with original Documentation written by the original developers of the CryENGINE 3.
Crytek GmbH will also be responsible for updating the engine regularly to make sure that the Crydev members are upto date always.
System Requirements [Developer]
- Supported operating Systems: XP, Vista, Windows 7 (with Windows 7 recommended)
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2GHz or better
- Memory: GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- Video Card : nVidia 8800GT 512MB RAM, ATI 3850HD 512MB RAM or better
System Requirements [End User]
End Users who only use the game launcher without Sandbox have lower system requirements.
- Supported operating Systems: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1 or SP2, Windows 7
- CPU: 32-bit or 64-bit processor (a multi-core processor is strongly recommended)
- Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- Video Card: ShaderModel 3 capable graphics card (for example an NVidia 6 series card)
CryENGINE 3 SDK
- Unlike CryENGINE 3 MOD SDK 1.1, CryENGINE 3 SDK is versioned 1.0 (Original one).
- CryMod members earlier reported the instability of 64-bit, now the original SDK features both 32-bit and 64-bit Sandbox Editors.
- Crysis 2 is not required to be installed prior using this SDK (Required by MOD 1.1). Crysis 2 is required to update to version 1.9 to be able to use MOD 1.1 SDK.
- The SDK also contains the forest.cry level which is a very detailed level and will feature all the CryENGINE 3 effects. The same was not available in the MOD 1.1 SDK. This was reported by many Packt Book Readers (Book: CryENGINE 3 Cookbook).
- There are Visual Studio Solutions (vc++ project), that means developers can now have the access to the CryENGINE 3′s C++ source code. So if you are thinking of tweaking this engine and use for commercial purposes, then you are free to do that considering Crytek’s commercial license policy, terms and conditions. Please read the FAQs (also, PDF included in the SDK).
- DirectX 11 is not supported in this version.
Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE.
“With the release of our SDK we encourage creators to try out CryENGINE 3 and hope it will lead to new companies being formed and using our engine. More importantly we expect to increase the talent pool for CryENGINE developers, as well as boosting our online community of users. This SDK contains more toys than we’ve ever released before – it empowers people to create whole new games from scratch, not just mod Crytek’s own games, so we encourage all aspiring and indie developers to try it out.”
“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.”
More info at http://www.mycryengine.com
Register and download SDK at
Time to Show your inner-self!!